Your head gasket is an important part of your car, it can’t function without it. Most people would rather just leave the car stuff to the mechanics, however it’s a good idea to be able to spot problems before they compound themselves over time. There are a few things to look out for regarding your head gasket. Here’s a quick overview:
The head gasket seals out the combustion chamber from the coolant passages. If your coolant and engine oil mix, engine damage is not far behind. Keep an eye out for the following:
Symptoms of blown head-gasket:
- If you peer below the exhaust manifold and see coolant leaking, your head gasket is blown.
- If you see white smoke coming out of your exhaust, your head gasket is probably blown.
- Engine overheating can be a sign of a blown head gasket.
- If you see bubbles in the coolant overflow tank or radiator, it’s probably the head gasket.
- White milky oil is a sign of a blown head gasket.
- Loss of coolant when there’s no leak present is also a sign of a blown head gasket.
Look out for any of these signs. Problems like these are best taken care of quickly. Here at Express Auto Repair and Emissions, we offer head gasket repair/replacement alongside a host of other auto-related services. For more information, please give us a call at (847) 895-9131.