How do I prepare my car for summer?
Each season has its challenges when it comes to car care, winter and summer especially, and you’ll want to prepare your vehicle for both. Here, we’ll concentrate on summer maintenance for your car. On your summer car maintenance checklist, you’ll be primarily concerned with your tires, your engine, and keeping your car cool inside and out. Below, are the Top 10 things to put on your “My summer car maintenance” checklist.
Top 10 car summer maintenance tips:
- Check your coolant: As temperatures soar, so can the heat generated by your engine. Ensure there’s plenty of coolant to prevent the engine from overheating.
- Check engine belts and hoses: Make sure all of your engine’s belts and hoses are in good shape and secure. Any cracked or worn belts or hoses should be replaced.
- Check your wipers: While it may rain less in the summer, you need to be prepared for it by making sure your windshield wipers are in good condition. Wipers that are in poor condition can leave streaks over your windshield that may affect your vision.
- Check fluid levels: Keep up with your regular oil changes and check other essential fluids like brake fluid, washer fluid, and power-steering fluid.
- Check the air conditioning system: Have your air conditioner checked out, and make sure there is enough refrigerant in the system.
- Check the air filter: Make sure your air filter isn’t clogged with debris. The air filter needs to be changed regularly.
- Check the tires: You want to make sure your tires are inflated properly and the treads are not worn or cracked. Check for nails or items that could create punctures in the tires.
- Check the battery: Make sure your battery is securely mounted, and that the terminals and cables are clean and clear of corrosive build-up. Have the battery tested. Extremes of heat and cold can affect the charge.
- Keep the car clean: Washing the car regularly not only makes it shine, it protects the paint from the sun’s rays. Waxing the car will protect it further.
- Keep an emergency kit on hand: In case you do have a breakdown, keep an emergency kit on hand that has items like jumper cables, a flashlight with extra batteries, road flares, basic hand tools, a first aid kit, as well as water and non-perishable food.
Along with summer maintenance for your car, make sure to keep up with any preventative maintenance including your factory scheduled maintenance. For the best in car care in Schaumburg, IL, schedule your maintenance services with Express Auto Repair & Emissions by calling 847-895-9131.
How can I protect my car in the summer?
Along with basic summer maintenance for your car, you’ll want to make sure your car is protected from the summer’s heat. One of the best ways to protect your car from heat and harsh sunlight when you are at home is to park it inside your garage or under a covered space. When you are out, try to park it in the shade if at all possible. If can’t park your car in the shade or under a covered space, use sunscreens to cover the interior of the car. Not only will the screen be useful to prevent heat damage to the dash, the steering wheel and other parts of the interior, you’ll be protected from the heat when touching them. Tinted windows are also useful to help keep the heat out.
How do I take care of my car?
While we’ve been concerned with summer maintenance for your car, no matter what season it is, regular maintenance will keep your car in good condition for as long as you drive it. You may ask, What is preventative maintenance on a car? or How do you do preventive maintenance on a car? Keeping your car regularly maintained is generally pretty easy. For the best preventative maintenance, you should follow the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual. While maintenance schedules will vary depending on the make and model of the vehicle, in general, if you follow these car care maintenance tips, you’ll be on your way to good car care:
- Get an oil change every 5,000 miles, and check oil levels regularly: While many dealerships or service shops will recommend an oil change every 3,000 miles, most modern engines are generally good for 5,000 miles. You also want to check the oil levels regularly to ensure you have enough oil.
- Change the air filter every 10,000 miles: A clean air filter will improve fuel efficiency, prolong engine life, and lower emissions.
- Rotate the tires every 5,000 to 10,000: Rotating the tires regularly prevents them from wearing out too soon.
- Wash your car regularly and keep the windshield clean: Washing your car helps protect it from the sun, as well as damage from dirt, grime, as well as the acidity of bird droppings.
- Check the tire pressure regularly: Driving on underinflated tires can be dangerous, and causes your tires to wear out faster.
When it comes to summer maintenance for your car or regular preventative maintenance, it’s essential to protect your engine from wear and tear. Serious damage or prolonged negligence and wear could require engine rebuilding.
Whether you need general car care or want summer maintenance for your car in Schaumburg, IL, you can always count on the reliable team at Express Auto Repair & Emissions. Call 847-895-9131 to schedule a service with us.